Friday, August 26, 2016

Water Play! And freedom

A couple weeks or so back, during some near 100 degree days I got out the kiddie pool and filled it for Marley.  He wanted nothing to do with it.

Today I set up a small sprinkler on low flow to water a couple of flowering plants near the porch that don't get watered in the regular lawn watering pattern.  It was only going up about 6-9 inches, spreading a couple of feet, since I was aiming for just 2 plants that are together.

Marley wanted a drink of water and went right into the sprinkler.  He seemed to enjoy the water playing on his head and even started to splash in the mud a little bit.  His head got soaked, his neck & shoulders got wet.

I went inside and got his stick (we let him chew sticks to pieces and our furniture is still intact) for him to chase.  He doesn't quite want to give it up and loves the chase.  I tossed it into the sprinkler a couple of times, and into the dry part of the yard several times.  He thoroughly enjoyed being able to run without me holding him back or snubbing him up short on the leash.  And he seemed to enjoy the water.



One of the times I took him out I decided to let him off his leash; we haven't had any rain or watered in several days so there shouldn't be any mushrooms today.  Next time out I let him out without his harness or his leash.  His newly acquired courtesy - let me in/out the door, down the steps first - is holding nicely.  There are a couple of openings we need to fix - gaps where the fence meets the house.  There are boards to fill the gap, but they've been pushed aside, either by the area tom cat or Charlotte.  Marley would have a very, very tight squeeze to get through them, but I don't think that would stop him from trying. 

He's almost reliable about asking to go out.  Only one cleanup in the last 3-4 days.  YAY!  He might earn the doggy door after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment